Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

The mirror

I have been reading an interesting book about a woman who decided to go without looking in the mirror for a year. Now the book has been mildly interesting but it brings up a multitude of questions about appearance, yada yada yada. One quote from the book really struck a chord with me today. I am paraphrasing but it went something like "take the sign from your forehead that says 'I want you to like me' and place it where it belongs squarely on the mirror"

Hmmm.... As I was working through the exercise video again, I asked myself "If I never lose this weight would I be able to be happy with myself, would I be able to love myself?" The answer rang back a solid "NO." I don't know what this means but it troubled me but in many ways didn't surprise me. If some way I could be healthy, and feel great, but still be fat, would I work this hard. Should I not be worried by the fact that I want to feel beautiful, sexy, etc. more than healthy? Or is it just a part of the equation. I want to be healthy, I want to feel better, but is my most motivating factor what I see in the mirror? Is there a balance, is there a better way?

No comments:

Post a Comment